Photos: Tiffany Shum
The City of Toronto recently completed the installation of heritage lighting for the St. Lawrence Market South (main) building. The new lighting was illuminated for the first time on Thursday, November 7th during the heritage lighting ceremony.
The South Market heritage lighting design was developed by design firm Smith + Andersen and is part of the City’s Heritage Lighting Master Plan for Old Town Toronto. The South Market project presented an opportunity to design exterior architectural lighting that enhances the facade and the interior historical character and architectural elements of the site. In addition to highlighting the Market’s architecture, the lighting provides wayfinding elements to identify the site’s major entry points, illuminates specific historic features of the site and on the building, enhances the interior common areas, is environmentally sustainable and power efficient and includes interchangeable lighting for occasions including holidays and events.
St. Lawrence Market is a renowned international food market featuring 120 merchants, vendors and farmers, offering fresh produce, meats and specialty items. Serving Toronto residents and international visitors since 1803, the market is regularly recognized as one of Toronto’s most popular destinations and was ranked the number one food market in the world by National Geographic. The St. Lawrence Market Complex consists of St. Lawrence Hall, the South Market and the North Market – the latter now in its temporary home at 125 The Esplanade.
For information about the St. Lawrence Market Complex, visit stlawrencemarket.com, Facebook at facebook.com/StLawrenceMarket, Twitter at twitter.com/StLawrenceMkt or Instagram at instagram.com/StLawrenceMarket.